This page is intended to assist you as you begin the severance process. Persons considering a severance application are encouraged to contact the Planning & Development Department on a preliminary basis before a formal application is filed.

On This Page:

What is a severance?

A severance (or consent) is a land division process followed to create only one (or two) new lots from an existing parcel, providing it meets the Official Plan policies, the Zoning By-law, the Provincial Policy Statement and the Planning Act.  Any further division, e.g. three or more lots, would necessitate the filing for approval of a plan of subdivision.

The County of Leeds & Grenville is the approval body for both severances and plans of subdivisions. Procedures related to both severances and plans of subdivision processes are outlined in the Planning Act and related regulations.

To permit a severance it must meet all the policies and requirements of the Township’s Official Plan, Zoning By-law and related provincial policy and other regulations.

The County of Leeds and Grenville has the authority in this municipality for granting severances. The Township does however receive notice of filed applications and reviews filed severance applications, and makes recommendations to the County Consent Granting Authority (through the Planning Advisory Committee and Council).

The review of the severance application by the Township includes having regard for Provincial policy, fish habitat issues, the current land use designation under the Official Plan, consent policies contained in the Official Plan and zoning provisions.

The County Planner has consent granting authority as does a County Consent Review Committee.  The County Planner can render decisions on a severance or can refer an application to the County Consent Review Committee for a decision by the Committee.   Individuals can also request that a decision on a severance be "bumped up" or rendered by the Consent Review Committee rather than being considered by the County Planner.

Please contact the Planning & Development Department if you have a specific severance proposal that would like reviewed in relation to its conformity with the Official Plan and Zoning By-law prior to formally applying. The Township’s Planning Advisory Committee also offers ratepayers the opportunity to appear before them for preliminary severance consideration ($200.00 fee) prior to filing a formal application.

For further information on the severance or plan of subdivision process, you can also contact the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville:

Consent Granting Authority
United Counties of Leeds & Grenville (Administration)
25 Central Ave. W., Suite 100
Brockville ON K6V 4N6
Ph: 613-342-3840
Fax: 613-342-2101

Severance (Consent) Process:
Judy Richards, Secretary-Treasurer

Plan of Subdivision Process:
Cherie Mills, County Planner

What is the Planning Advisory Committee?

The Planning Advisory Committee ("PAC") is a policy driven committee that recognizes the complex interfaces between the environmental, social and economic factors in land use planning.

The PAC, an appointed Committee by Council, makes recommendations to Council on planning related matters including:

  • Land Division (Severances)
  • Zoning By-law Amendments/Official Plan Amendments
  • Plans of Subdivision
  • Site Plan Development
  • Deeming By-laws
  • The Township’s Comprehensive Official Plan review process
  • Other planning & development related reports

Processes respecting each type of application are outlined in the Planning Act and related regulations. Related fees are outlined by Township by-law. Ratepayers may present preliminary proposals (at no cost) to the Committee for their consideration.

The PAC carries out review of the above filed applications through meetings with the applicants (Ratepayers), by consideration of filed materials and provided staff information/reports and by conducting site visits. Recommendations are based on compliance or non-compliance with the Official Plan and Zoning By-laws and having regard for the Provincial Policy Statement (PPS).

The PAC treats all applicants with honesty and respect and the PAC’s recommendations have been consistent to all Ratepayers.

What is the severance application process?

The following information is taken from the Information Guide provided with severance application forms.

PRIOR TO FORMALLY APPLYING FOR SEVERANCE, it is recommended that you discuss your proposed application with the Township Planning Staff.

YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO appear before the Township's Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) to discuss your application on a preliminary level prior to formally filing an application to the County with required fees. Please consult with Township Planning Staff on this.

This guide is intended to provide key information, in a chronological order, regarding the steps and costs in the severance process. Please consult with Township or County staff for details/specific information.

1. The completed severance APPLICATION FORM is to be submitted to the UNITED COUNTIES OF LEEDS & GRENVILLE LAND DIVISION AUTHORITY and must:

  • include the County application fee of $800.00;
  • include the SITE SKETCH (required under item 28 of the application);
  • be legible and page three must be signed and witnessed; and
  • if available, include a survey of the property (or a photocopy copied at 100%)

2. The SITE SKETCH should identify:

  • The location of all buildings/structures (including distances to all existing and proposed/new lot lines (front, sides, read);
  • the approximate location of any well and septic system (tank and tile bed/weepers).

3. The County circulates notice of the severance application to area property owners and various required/relevant COMMENTING AGENCIES, including the Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley.

The Township charges a $400.00 processing fee.

The Health Unit and the relevant Conservation Authorities also charge processing fees (refer to included information).

4. The TOWNSHIP PAC CONSIDERS APPLICATIONS at their monthly meetings after the Township has received notice from the County and the requisite fee. This Committee makes recommendations on severance applications and related conditions of approval to Council. Council, in turn, makes recommendation to the County Land Division Authority.

If a severance application is a lot addition/right-of-way matter, planning staff, in consultation with the Planning Advisory (PAC) Chair, may make recommendation to the County Land Division Authority without necessitating PAC/Council consideration (as per By-law No. 13-25).

5. With an approved severance, ADDITIONAL EXPENSES TO BE INCURRED may include:

  • Survey Costs
  • Legal Costs associated with deed preparation/registration
  • All Costs related to fulfilling conditions. Conditions may include:
    • the need to obtain a minor variance (if required)
    • the need to obtain a rezoning (if required)
    • the need to undertake environmental studies/archeological assessments, if required
    • survey/conveyance of lands for road widening
    • conveyance of lands for parkland purposes or payment of cash-in-lieu of parkland
    • agreements/undertakings

What is the cost of filing an application?

The County portion of the filing fee is $800.00.  The Township charges a $400.00 processing fee. The Health Unit and Conservation Authorities also charge a number of additional processing fees.

If the severance is approved, additional expenses may apply, such as survey costs, legal costs, and costs associated with fulfilling conditions, ex. standard conditions $500.00 per lot cash-in-lieu of parkland contribution, road widening etc..

The Planning Advisory Committee also offers applicants an opportunity to discuss a potential application at a fee of $200 prior to filing a formal application. Please contact the Planning & Development Department should you wish to further discuss this opportunity.

Where can I obtain an application?

Applications can be obtained from the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville at 25 Central Ave. W., Brockville or click here to visit their website.

Severance applications are also available at the Main Township Administration Office at 6544 New Dublin Road. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.. If you wish to discuss a proposed application you are advised to call 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code) and ask for the Planning Department for initial information.

Suggested Links

For more information on Severances, check out:

The Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing's Citizen's Guide, Land Severances at

The County Land Division website at

The Ontario Municipal Board at

For More Information

For more information on the severance process, or to have a proposal examined on a preliminary basis, contact the Director of Planning and Development, Barbara Kalivas at 6544 New Dublin Road, RR 2 Addison, ON K0E 1A0.

613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code)



Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley, 6544 New Dublin Rd, RR 2  Addison, ON, K0E 1A0
Tel. 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175, Fax. 613-345-7235, Email:
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2014 iCompass Technologies Inc.