Dack's Tavern was built circa 1817 and was operating as a tavern as early as 1836. The Orange Lodge meetings were being held here in 1835, but by the 1850s had been moved to Newbliss. It is not known whether William Dack owned the tavern before Edward Dack, but we do know William was operating a tavern by the middle of the 1830s, although it isn't known were it was located.
In 1846 Edward Dack's tavern had five rooms, three beds, stabling for eight horses, a building for driving in carriages that was in good order, and no yard. By 1849 it had one fewer room and bed. To get supplies, Dack had to travel to Forthton.
This house, like most of the other houses in Ontario, focuses more on the structure then on stylistic details. This was dictated by the harsh climate and a lack of money. The veranda is likely an add-on, as they only became popular in the 1830s. The gables on the roof may possibly be an add-on as well. Without these two details the house looks much like early one-and-a-half story houses with elongated walls. After 1811 and before 1854, buildings were taxed on the number of stories and a one-and-a-half storey became the lowest taxable category.